Assess Your School or District
This is an H3
- To define your school or district's needs and how to meet them
- To obtain outside information
- To create a list of possible policy components
Before making plans to develop policies, you should assess the current situation and the sun safety needs of your students and staff. This quick tool will help you identify your school or district’s strengths, weaknesses, and next steps for improvement.
Along with the information you gather from the assessment, you may also want to:
- Collect information on educational, health and economic benefits of a sun safety policy
- Review information gathered in school and community surveys
- Determine whether current policy is acceptable or unacceptable to a majority in the school community
- Review National Guidelines on sun safety
- Review existing regulations for Colorado child care providers
You can print out the assessment from this website or synthesize these and other results into a concise, easy-to-read, and attractive document to share with decision makers.
Adapted from USDA Team Nutrition’s The Local Process: How to Create and Implement a Local Wellness Policy, and University of Southern California Prevention Solutions’ Alcohol & Drug Policy Resource Manual for Schools by Mary Ann Pentz, PhD. (Unpublished).